In the past week, we’ve managed to do the following:
- Break TWO hydrometers
- Find that more than a couple of our ESB bottles are “funky”
- Decide to totally scrap our American Pale recipe in favor of one that will hopefully taste…more like an American Pale
- Brew the beer that won’t quit: the lager yeast/California Common version of said American Pale. The yeast refuses to crash out, even down in the thirty-something-temperature range. We have quite the hefe-lager in one of the corny kegs right now, maybe as a special surprise!
- Brew ten more gallons of ESB last Sunday, with two different yeast strains, as our existing English ale yeast refused to start. We pitched some British ale yeast in a day later and it’s going strong now. Oh, and it ended up being a rather reluctant two-hour mash as we had some problems heating the sparge water.
- Decide to rethink our yeast-harvesting technique/pay a little more attention to honing this skill
- Decide to work more diligently at consistent base recipes
Per the above, we all kind of think that we’ve been slacking a bit. We’re gonna work a bit harder on consistency in the coming weeks, as we really do have some recipes we’re happy with now and want to be able to reproduce them without these pitfalls.
Otherwise, we’ve got the twenty gallons of witbier in secondary fermentation now, and that half of the batch with peach in it tastes really good! Jamie doesn’t think the peachy-ness is pronounced enough but I tend to like how well it blends with the other fruit flavors. Can’t wait to carbonate and chill! Speaking of that, we’ve got ten gallons of Steve Brown Ale under pressure right now and taste results should be available tonight. This weekend was supposed to be a weekend off but we’ve decided to brew anyway; the specific recipe is TBD.